Using a Low Carb, High Fat Diet to Lose Weight – A Short Summary
1. Cut your carbohydrate intake down to around 20 grams per day. See more on carbohydrates
2. Eat more healthy fats. You need these for energy. Note, this is NOT a low calorie diet!
3. Ensure you eat plenty of protein – many of us do best consuming around 1.5 gms of protein per kilogram of body weight per day. Protein satiates! See more on protein
4. Eat two to three meals per day with at least 30 grams of protein with each meal.
5. Reduce snacking between meals. Wait at least 4 hours after a meal.
6. Eat plenty of green leafy vegetables each day to get fibre, essential minerals and vitamins.
7. Add plenty of salt. The latest research suggests we do better on closer to 5gm per day than the 2.3gms recommended by dietary authorities.
8. If you have all the above correct and are not losing excess weight then start counting your calorie intake. Keep your carbohydrates low, ensure good levels of protein intake and then reduce fat calories by 200 every few weeks until the weight starts coming off again.